My Personal Philosophy of Education
Angela Gregoire
Miami Dade College
Abstract
This paper deals with my personal philosophy of education. I believe that all students are entitled to an education that is holistic in design. In this approach students can recognize their weaknesses and strengths and profit from a broad based program while the teacher’s job is to provide a safe, caring, and loving environment that is conducive to students learning. It is my belief that every child will be provided with an education that prepares him or her to face the world and to be an active participant in society.
I believe that students can reach their full potential if the right atmosphere is created for learning. Aristotle stated that “all who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth.” Students should be taught skills to prepare them for life, but in addition to skills they should be taught values, and virtues to function well in society. I think the school can be a change agent in promoting academics, relationships, and discipline. Although it is important to test students, testing should not be the only instrument to judge progress of students. E. D. Hirsch, Jr. was a strong advocate who believed that an inclusive guide should be used for all students. As an educator, I think that students can master the information taught and they should have good thinking skills.
As a teacher I encourage a broad based curriculum with some flexibility. I believe that students will be more stimulated to learn if the curriculum is developed with their interests in mind. It is certain that students will develop ownership in the process if they work hard to master the skills needed to attain their goals. I would allow my students to read great books because I believe knowledge is important. In reading great books students will be able to think rationally. The teacher or facilitator’s job is to help students find information and to guide them. Jean Jacques Rousseau explained that everything we do not have at birth and which we need when we are grown is given to us by education. The teacher should not be the sole source of information, but instead give students the freedom to seek knowledge for answers to questions. Students are given opportunities to discover and study meaningful and relevant things in their environment. I believe that students should be afforded an input in their learning and made to understand exactly what their roles are in the learning process. Every student should be given a chance to reach his or her full potential regardless of class, religious affiliation, or race.
It is very important that students are treated fairly in the classrooms. I am of the view that students should not be promoted base on age, but through merit. My philosophy is that every child must be given equal chance to excel and reach full potential. I strongly believe that schools should focus on the needs of every child. George Counts (1932) suggested that schools should concentrate on changing society. From a social reconstuctionist point of view I support that social problems and challenges should be incorporated in the school curriculum. Topics dealing with social issues like substance abuse, AIDS, pollution, global warming, and racism should be part of the curriculum. Students need to be knowledgeable on issues that affect their lives, and help to make a difference in the world. John Dewey (2003) described that education is the means of the “social continuity of life.”The teacher can facilitate the process and help the children to develop appropriate questions and strategies. I think students can develop inquiring minds. I believe that students should be given numerous opportunities to find out solutions to some of the challenges that affect them every day.
I firmly believe that every individual is unique and should be treated with respect. As an educator I empower my students to believe in themselves and aim for the best in whatever task they undertake. I support an education system which promotes positive values such as discipline, hard work, honesty, empathy, and decency. I also support a system which incorporates non academic subjects like physical education, athletics, home economics, art, and sports. To me the system is incomplete if it does not encourage participation in group activities such as 4-H movements, boy scouts, Red Cross and health clubs. A good system ensures that it creates a quality product and that is well rounded individuals who can function effectively in society.
References
Experiencing Dewey: Insights for Today's Classroom. (2005). Bloomington, Indiana: Kappa Delta Pi.
R.Zittleman, K., Sadker, D. M., & Sadker, M. P. (2008). Teachers,Schools,and Society (8th Edition ed.). New York: Mc Grawhill.
true, u. m. (n.d.). On Truth and Reality: Philosophy Physics Metaphysics of Space, Wave Structure Matter. Famous Science Art Quotes. On Truth and Reality: Philosophy Physics Metaphysics of Space, Wave Structure Matter. Famous Science Art Quotes. Retrieved March 29, 2010, from http://www.spaceandmotion.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment